2012年7月24日星期二

I Didn't Really Need a New Coach Or Any Coach, What I Needed Was Better Running Shoes




Do you remember recently when a top golfer, someone without a coach won a major tournament, and beat everyone else? He was obviously at the top of his game, and he'd been playing with the best for years. He's one of the best players in the world, and will never find a coach which has achieved his greatness to help him along. If someone is that strong-willed with that much strength of character, they may not need a coach at all, they are their own coach. Okay so, let's talk about this for second shall we?





Back in the days between high school and college, I was worried about the new challenges ahead, the runners were better, and those that were still running at that level, had their sights set on going to the Olympics, they were in it to win it, or you might say they were all in. I thought I needed a coach to help me through that transition, but in reality all I really needed was a better pair of running shoes. My times were competitive, and my mind was strong, I was dedicated to the cause, and committed to doing whatever it took to win. Meaning I was putting in grueling workouts, on a special diet, and could probably run the mile backwards faster than most of the kids running track in high school.





Having the right equipment gave me additional confidence, not that I needed any really, as I definitely knew my pecking order and my ability as I worked like hell to push myself to the next level. It was no secret either, because when you go out and compete, everyone knows, it's plain as day for all to see. Having faster lightweight shoes meant that my times would be lower, and I knew it.





Some say that if you have the right coach you can become great, but I would submit to you that unless you do the workouts, it doesn't matter how good your coach is, for if you are not dedicated, you cannot win, you cannot better yourself, or push your mind to will your body to do things that well, genetically you shouldn't be able to do. Still, I would submit to you that a true athlete knows where they stand and will push the limits.





In hindsight, I'm not so sure I needed a coach, and I'm glad I saved the money, purchased the better equipment, and refused to surrender to the competition. It made all the difference. Indeed I hope you will please consider all this and think on it.


没有评论:

发表评论